Madness In The White City

Ah The White City indeed ...
then there was ... another part to the fair .. lets get this out of the way shall we ..
a deep dark awful nightmare that was going on !!!
*Grins*
humble confession I had to sleep with a small night light during the plight
of reading The Devil in The White City ..but The Torture Doctor ..was also
haunting tale and read .. hard to put it down and get over the thought that one man could .. geez
There is so much information out there on this story I am quite amazed
more has not been done on it and him .. interesting how that works !!
Happy reading .. see if it doesn't ahh linger a bit .. .. when your done .
*Grins*
David Franke, Author of The Torture Doctor“In dealing with an almost unbelievable character such as H.H. Holmes, the temptation is to give in to sexploitation and sleaze, as so many have done. When I wrote The Torture Doctor, I was determined not to go that route because this is a case where the truth is far stranger and more riveting than fiction. I am so glad that John Borowski has followed the same path with his documentary. It is historically accurate AND suspenseful, with great production values. This is the film I would have produced, were I a cinematic wizard rather than a mere author. I dare you to watch it with the lights out.”
nope I couldn't do it .. grins then I am just a light weight pray tell *grins*
In 1893, Chicago, Illinois was host to a spectacular World’s Fair -- The Columbian Exposition -- that celebrated the anniversary of Columbus’ discovery of America. It was a boom time for the city and thousands of people came from all over the country to attend. Unfortunately though, the list of those “gone missing” at the end of the fair was extensive and as the police later tried to track down where these people had vanished to -- the trail turned cold on the south side of Chicago. Everything was not as shiny and beautiful as the advertising for the Exposition’s “White City” would have everyone believe, for “a devil” that became known as America’s first real serial killer was alive and well on the city’s south side, luring visitors to his "hotel", where scores of them vanished without a trace --- never to be seen again.
Interview with the author of
The Devil in The White City
What drew you to this story?
"I first came across the killer Dr. H. H. Holmes during the early phase of my search for Isaac's Storm. I found his story immediately compelling, but only when I began reading about the glories of the World's Columbian Exposition did the story take on the larger resonance that I look for in a book. Taken together, the stories of how Daniel Burnham built the fair and how Dr. Holmes used it for murder formed an entirety that was far greater than the story of either man alone would have been. I found it extraordinary that during this period of nearly miraculous creativity there should also exist a serial killer of such appetite and industry. The juxtaposition of the architect and the murderer seemed to open a window on the forces shaping the American soul at the dawn of the 20th century. The fair drew so many of history’s brightest lights, from Buffalo Bill to Susan B. Anthony,
that doing my research was like crashing a very classy Gilded Age party."
So well said !!!
I was born with the devil in me. I could not help the fact that I was a murderer, no more than the poet can help the inspiration to sing -- I was born with the "Evil One" standing as my sponsor beside the bed where I was ushered into the world, and he has been with me since
.H.H. HOLMES

Comments